[CentOS] How to update CentOS 5.4 to 5.6?

Thu Sep 22 11:20:15 UTC 2011
Rudi Ahlers <Rudi at SoftDux.com>

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 12:37 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

>> crap ... the 5.6 files are still there .. just change the baseurl like
>> john doe wrote and you'll get an update to 5.6
>
> no, they aren't.
>
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.6/
>
> empty.  except a readme file telling you to look in /5/ instead, which
> has the 5.7 stuff in it.

Why would the 5.6 stuff have been removed?

Apart from the "5.7 is more secure" answer, or even "we're running out
of disk space", what is the actual reason behind this?

surely a few versions of the OS won't take up that much space? 1TB &
2TB HDD's these day cost a few dollars so I don't think that's the
real reason. And it can't be bandwidth either since the files are
mirrored to many other servers around the globe.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com