[CentOS] Problems with Intel Ethernet and module e1000e

Mon Sep 26 13:48:38 UTC 2011
Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org>

On 26 September 2011 13:54, Patrick Lists <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 09/23/2011 12:54 PM, Volker Poplawski wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm facing a serious problem with the e100e kernel module for Intel
>> 82574L gigabit nics on Centos 6.
>
> I have also had problems with an Intel Gbit nic in a Dell Optiplex 760
> using the e1000 module. If it would come up it would come up at 100Mbit
> speed. Only unplugging the LAN cable en reinserting it in the switch
> would sometimes result in the proper 1Gb speed. After replacing the 3Com
> Gbit switch with a DLink Gbit switch things started to work ok.
The fact that once you had changed to an other switch it had started
to work points the blame to the 3Com switch. Funnily enough, about 10
years ago I would get the same kind of issues with 3Com network cards
and switches talking to each other (on 100Mbit!). Disabling the
auto-handshake and forcing the link to a particular speed would fix
the problem.

Try forcing the link speed with ethtool or similar utilities.
"What part of 'ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn'
don't you understand?"