[CentOS] Files being modified in /bin/

Mon Sep 26 14:27:57 UTC 2011
Micky L Martin <mickylmartin at gmail.com>

No Jeremy, reformatting is nonsensical, like doing anything without finding
cause of the problem is!
You have to check out prelink if you still don't know about it, it can be
something amazing or ridiculous.
In my case, all evidence points to prelink!

To the guys using prelink and having experience with it.
So I did a further study and found out that it possesses some issues.

First it doesn't randomly address the data making applications prone to perl
security attacks. Secondly, it way of keeping track of address maps is
awkward which becomes a few weeks older till it gets updated.
Thirdly, its 'a very old styled' application. It was written back in 90's
when computers were slow to make them fast. But with today's extraneous
processing age, its effects are long vanishing.
Lastly, I see a lot of people remove it in post installation process. Many
claim it sucks as it creates more problems than what it is supposed to do.

As I occasionally do a minimal install so I am not sure how it got installed
on this very box. Seems like 'yum update' or the kickstart did it.
But anyhow I disabled it already and I am gonna benchmark the system for
performance; needless to day, it will be removed from my desk.

It did pop like a jack in a box :P!