[CentOS] Slow DNS lookups on CentOS6 [not really -- SOLVED]

Tue Sep 27 19:10:38 UTC 2011
Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com>

On Sep 27, 2011, at 14:02, Les Mikesell wrote:

> The usual reason for a delay is that you have more than one nameserver
> specified in resolv.conf and the first one tried is down or
> unreachable so you time out and retry.

Bingo!  Thanks Les.  All systems use DHCP which updates the resolv.conf
file, and for some reason the CentOS6 systems had their two entries in
a different order then the CentOS5 systems.  Well, now that I checked all
systems, it's not a CentOS6 vs. CentOS5 issue, but rather just "luck"
of the draw, and my small sample size led me to believe that it was a
CentOS6 issue.  One of our two main internal servers appears to be
having some issues.  I'll have to follow up with CIS to figure out what
is going on.

Alfred