[CentOS] [OT] Fetchmail and Mutt help

Tue Sep 27 21:25:50 UTC 2011

Todd wrote:

>>> I setup Fetchmail and wanted to use Mutt to read e-mail. I used to use
>>> Pine and I just am sick of GUI e-mail clients these days. Bloat,
>>> complication and unreliable. Pine was my first ever e-mail client. I
>>> prefer to use POP still as I want may mail on my machine at all times.
<snip>
I agree. I'm on the verge of going back to mutt. T'bird has *real*
problems. I'm running the version that comes with CentOS 5.6 (yeah, yeah,
I need to do an update to 5.7) at home, and my hosting provider is under a
DDoS attack, and I couldn't send out email. So I contacted them, and they
gave me a private fixed IP address for outbound SMTP. Worked when I did
it, but the next day, it would *not* send email; it kept trying the normal
SMTP server, even when I set the private IP as default. I had to delete
the normal one before it ever tried the IP.

Then there's 3,1,3 that comes with CentOS 6, and no matter what I do,
clicking on a link WILL NOT open it in a browser window or tab, 100% of
the time, I have to copy the link, and paste it in.

         mark "maybe I'll put a GUI around mutt"