[CentOS] Slow DNS lookups on CentOS6

Wed Sep 28 13:36:16 UTC 2011
Michael Gliwinski <Michael.Gliwinski at henderson-group.com>

On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 19:08:53 Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com>
wrote:
> >> Why do you think dnscache won't help?  Caching is not restricted to your
> >> local domain.
> >
> > I guess I forgot to mention that only the first query is slow.  If you
> > repeat the query, the response is fast, so it's already being cached
> > somewhere.  I always assumed that's how DNS worked.  So in order to test
> > this "slowness", I have to keep thinking of domains to look up.
>
> DNS servers normally do cache, but clients don't.  Are you running
> named locally on each machine and pointing resolv.conf to localhost?

He's running nscd which caches DNS (group 'hosts' in /etc/nscd.conf).

--
Michael Gliwinski
Henderson Group Information Services

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee and access to the email by anyone else is unauthorised.
When addressed to our clients, any opinions or advice contained in this e-mail are subject to the terms and conditions expressed  in the governing client engagement leter or contract.
If you have received this email in error please notify support at henderson-group.com

John Henderson (Holdings) Ltd
Registered office: 9 Hightown Avenue, Mallusk, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, BT36 4RT.
Registered in Northern Ireland
Registration Number NI010588
Vat No.: 814 6399 12