[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Thu Sep 29 02:06:02 UTC 2011
Bob Hoffman <bob at bobhoffman.com>

Les Mikesell wrote

If you are doing raid, once the partitions are set up you will only
see /dev/md? device names except in madam commands or when looking at
/proc/mdstat. And you can move the drives around later so the actual
device names would be different without affecting the  md assemblies.
  I think you are being a little picky....  You could always move the
controller cables around, but I'm not sure there is any guarantee that
the drives will be detected in the same order every time.

I am just worried that it would affect some programming or scripting, but if that is not the case
then it will be fine....I hope.
I looked into the guts of etc and boot and grub...they proper drives are placed hd0 hd1 , etc...
Those things look good.

It just seems changing that lettering would be scary, guess linux uses them as kind of a virtual naming
convention while keeping the underlying info the same (hd0, etc..).

well, nothing I can do to change it I guess, so I will move on.

Thanks for the help all. Definitely an interesting thing to look at tonight.

bob