[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Thu Sep 29 21:19:34 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 4:09 PM, David C. Miller
> <millerdc at fusion.gat.com> wrote:
>>
>> This type of issue is why relying on /dev/sdX is bad. Mounting based on
>> uuid or label when available is best. Unfortunately, there are
>> controller cards that present all disks as the same uuid. It makes using
>> mdadm that can only see /dev/sdX a pain to use.
>
> So how do you propose getting a uuid or label on a disk in the first
> place if you can't identify which is which physically?  And how do you
> know which to move when you want the content in some other box?

When I build, our PXEboot ks partitions and labels the partitions. When I
add or replace, I make the partition, the fs, and e2label them. I've
gotten to really appreciate labeling. I hate the UUIDs - they're
ludicrously too long, and bear no relationship to what device they are, or
where they go.

        mark