[CentOS] Running Apache sites as separate users

Fri Sep 30 15:58:06 UTC 2011
Drew <drew.kay at gmail.com>

> I think Trey needs to push back - *IF* I understand him correctly, it
> sounds like duplicate websites, but running as different users.  That, to
> me, literally makes no sense...mmmm, unless a) the source of the request
> doesn't understand what he wants, or b) there's something illegal going
> on, and users going to a different site have different things happening,
> based on data/database content.

The way I interpreted it he want's it setup so each domain
(example1.com, example2.com, etc) to each runs it's own Apache server
under an unprivileged login (apache1, apache2, etc). Chroot's should
accomplish that easy enough. He then wants to use the same CMS
(Joomla, Wordpress, etc) on each site. My assumption is he's hosting
several CMS sites and want's each isolated so a compromise of one
won't compromise the others.

What is confusing is what he means by 'codebase?' Does he want each
chroot to have it's own independent copy? Or does he want to share the
CMS core files across all instances?

--
Drew