[CentOS] add on sata card relabeling drives, installation

Fri Sep 30 19:27:28 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>> And no, I do not toss my backups at work in my shirt:
>
> Figuratively speaking, of course - the 2.5" drives are just easier for
> any use where the capacity makes sense.

Um, we just went from the 1TB drives to 3TB drives, so I only need four.

>>  the offline backups,
>> fully encrypted disks, go in the fire safe in the locked server room.
>> Some of the systems they're backing up have HIPAA and PII data.
>
> Do you encrypt at the disk level (hardware support?), the filesystem,
> or just per file with tar-type files?  And has the technique ever
> caused data loss?

As I said, the disks are fully encrypted, using LUKS. Can't do hardware
support - these are just ordinary drives. Never had data loss, unless the
drive started failing.

         mark