[CentOS] Postfix problems with maximum messages size

Mustafa Demirci

mustafa.demirci at ytb.gov.tr
Sun Apr 1 18:17:07 UTC 2012

On 03/28/2012 04:44 PM, James B. Byrne wrote:
> CentOS-6.2
>
> I am confused.  I need to accept messages somewhat larger
> than the default 10M allowed by Postfix.  However,
> changing the message_size_limit in /etc/postfix/main.cf is
> having no effect.
>
> Squirrelmail is configured to accept and transmit messages
> up to 24M and this identical configuration is working on a
> Sendmail installation.  So the problem appears to me to be
> strictly at Postfix matter.
>
> # grep message_size_limit /etc/postfix/*
> /etc/postfix/main.cf:message_size_limit = 20480000
>
> # postfix reload
> postfix/postfix-script: refreshing the Postfix mail system
>
> # postconf -n | grep size_limit
> message_size_limit = 20480000
>
> smtp message generated to squirrelmail client
>
> Message not sent. Server replied:
>
>      Requested mail action aborted: exceeding storage
> allocation
>      552 5.2.3 Message exceeds maximum fixed size (12000000)
>
> What is going on?  Why am I unable to have configured
> limit of 20M take effect?

I had a same problem but  i am using zimbra firstly i did in zimbra sudo
su - zimbra #(or just su - zimbra)
zmlocalconfig -e imap_max_request_size=102400000
zmprov mcf zimbraMtaMaxMessageSize 102400000
zmmailboxdctl restart

and then i changed main.cf of postfix like you , but opposite host of
user domain postfix did not accept mail because of 10mb limit.
Conclusion
be sure which postfix returned this error to you (your server, or from
other side) and be sure your mail program (thunderbird, evolution etc.)
has not limit of 10 mb

and also you must add uploaded file size settings in main.cf (if you
attach a file)

and be sure service has been restarted

regards