[CentOS] Installing CentOS 6.2 *TO* a USB drive, not installing from USB.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 4 17:06:39 UTC 2012

On Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:38:03 PM Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> I also did try manually doing (hd0,1), (hd1,0) but none of it seemed
> to be a "findable" device. For what it's worth, the installer did see
> them as sda and sdb.

The grub order and names and the linux kernel/udev order and names should not be assumed to have any correlation of any kind, since they are discovered differently.

If you can boot a USB live media on this box, you could bring up a grub shell and see how grub sees the disks from that (at a root prompt, type 'grub' and you'll be greeted with the grub shell, and then you can do detection or whatever from that).  This also works in the rescue environment given by the install media; you do want to do a 'chroot /mnt/sysimage' in that shell before entering the grub shell, though.

It is completely BIOS dependent as to how the devices show up to grub.