[CentOS] IPSEC How To?

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 5 16:47:37 UTC 2012

On 04/05/2012 04:55 PM, Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now I have spent many hours to configure openswan for VPN connections
> without any success.
>
> My goal:
>
> VPN Server CentOS 6 with public IPv4
> VPN Client (= road warrier) from private site with NAT router or from
> mobile cell with Linux, Windows 7, Mac, iPhone or Android
>
> Is there any how to in the net?
>
> When I read
> file:///usr/share/doc/openswan-doc-2.6.32/config.html
> then I belive, there is no solution. It is written, that I have to
> reconfigure the NAT router of the mobile provider or the hardware NAT
> router of the private dsl uplink.
>
> Both is impossible.

Maybe you get better luck on the Openswan mailing list but I would not
get my hopes up. One of the Openswan developers has repeatedly mentioned
that IPsec does not like NAT. Les' suggestion to try OpenVPN is what I
did and it works well assuming you can find the tun.ko kernel module for
your Android phone. I don't know if there is an OpenVPN client for
Windows phone or iPhone.

Regards,
Patrick