[CentOS] totem-nautilus and totem - mp3 duration

Frank Cox

theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Tue Apr 10 05:04:44 UTC 2012

I have both totem-nautilus and the assorted gstreamer-plugins installed for
playing mp3 files through Totem.

I note that Totem doesn't appear to know the duration of an mp3.  For example,
if I right-click on a wav or ogg file and click on the audio tab, one of the
fields is Duration and it tells me how long that file will play.

If I do the same with a mp3 file the duration field is always 0 seconds.

When I play a mp3 file with Totem the progress bar across the bottom doesn't
move and the elapsed time display at the bottom says "Streaming" while counting
up the seconds.

Have I missed something when setting up Totem to play mp3's?