[CentOS] Installing CentOS 6.2 *TO* a USB drive, not installing from USB.

Emmanuel Noobadmin centos.admin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:19:11 UTC 2012

In trying to solve this problem, I came across these two articles
regarding GRUB and USB booting.

http://vlinux-freak.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-create-grub-boot-floppy-usb.html
http://bootloader.wikidot.com/linux:boot:usb-grub

The floppy drive issue appears to be the situation as booting the
rescue environment from a USB DVD does show up as /dev/fd0.

However, the solutions in those articles did not work. In the first,
the GRUB command/options are different, although changing the option
from boot-directory to root-directory appear to work, there was no
option to force floppy drive.

In the second, the python script thinks the grub install has already
been patched for floppy boot so couldn't do anything.

I've also tried editing menu.lst to use (fd0) but also didn't work.