[CentOS] quickly setting /etc/rc levels

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Wed Apr 11 15:48:55 UTC 2012

On 4/11/2012 11:34 AM, John Doe wrote:
> From: aurfalien <aurfalien at gmail.com>
>
>> I vaguely recall being able to auto set various /etc/rc levels based on
>> /etc/init.d/scriptname.
>> I am about to create the sym links by hand but wondering if any one has a
>> shortcut to auto set the links?
> chkconfig?

And the init scripts can have a header in them giving the default
settings for chkconfig.  It looks like this:

# chkconfig: 2345 55 25

This line (taken from sshd) says that this service should run in run
levels 2, 3, 4, and 5 with a start priority of 55 and a stop priority of 25.

If the service doesn't have any links in the rc*.d directories yet,
'chkconfig --add svcname' will create the start and stop links based on
the chkconfig line in the script file.

--
Bowie