[CentOS] SSD for boot drive and OS

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Apr 13 22:27:16 UTC 2012

On 04/13/12 2:59 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> I just ordered  a new machine that's destined to become a Centos 6 application
> server for a publishing company, and decided to get one with a 40GB SSD as well
> as a standard hard drive.
>
> I'm thinking that I can put most of the operating system on that drive and have
> the home directories and whatnot on the regular hard drive.  Are there any
> pitfalls lying in wait for an unwary person like me when setting this thing up?
>
> Further, I suspect that if that thing rattles along like I think it should I'll
> probably want to add a SSD to my own desktop machine here.  Since this computer
> is already set up with the default Centos 6 partitioning system on a single hard
> drive (/boot, /home and /) is there an easy way to transfer the OS to the SSD or
> would I be better off reformatting this thing and starting over from scratch if
> I want to have a SSD for my boot and OS drive?

a server typically makes very little access of the system drive once the
OS and services are loaded...   sure, the boot time will be hugely sped
up, but how often do you reboot a production server?

typically, the most important storage IO function on an application
server is the database performance, and this requires a device with
strong random write performance.