[CentOS] Upgrading to Verizon FIOS from Verizon DSL - Linux machine as router/Gateway/LAN server]

S.Tindall tindall.satwth at brandxmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:51:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 16:45 -0400, Tim Evans wrote:
> On 04/16/2012 04:17 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > Max Pyziur wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> A long time ago I setup a Linux machine as a Gateway/LAN Server using
> >> Verizon DSL as the ISP.
> >>
> >> I used the following HOWTO as the guide - DSL HOWTO For Linux:
> >> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/index.html
> >>
> >> Is there something comprable for Verizon FIOS?
> >>
> >> My Gateway machine runs Fedora.
> >>
> >> For a new server, I'm considering setting up a CentOS machine, while still
> >> using Fedora on my desktop and laptop.
> >
> > FIOS comes with a FIOS router. You have straight ethernet to it.
> >

> And it you wire it right, you can set up an internal/external network
> config with your own firewall.  (The FIOS router also acts as a
> firewall, but you might trust an iptables firewall more as a second line
> of defense.

Unless it changed recently, Verizon supplies a wireless router via a
MoCA (coaxial cable) connection. Just ask the Verizon tech to set up the
wireless router with a conventional Ethernet cable.

Their server is down right now, but dslreports.com has a nice Verizon
fios faq with lots of details regarding the router setup. I think the
correct link is:

 http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios

I administer both dynamic (DHCP) and static Verizon fios circuits and am
currently using IPCop V2 for the firewalls. For DHCP, you need to either
clone their router MAC or call tech support and ask them to break the
lease when you connect a new router. The static circuit works without
any funny stuff. Spring for Static IP if $$$ is not a big issue.

Steve