[CentOS] PHP and PHP53

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Apr 17 07:24:28 UTC 2012

On 04/16/2012 11:49 PM, dnk wrote:
> I myself am running:
>

> httpd-2.2.22
> php-5.2.17
> mysql-server-5.1.58

I want to point out here that 5.2.17 is the last release of the 5.2
branch and that it is NOT being updated for security by php.net any
more.  There are already unpatched vulnerabilities. The 5.1.x (and
php53) versions from EL5 will continue to get security updates until EL5
goes EOL.

If you have to use php-5.2.x then 5.2.17 is the one to use ... however,
it is not safe.

As to the question of what is different ... I think many 3rd party
packages from repoforge and EPEL will not work well with php53 ... but
if you are staying inside the php53 universe, it should be OK.