[CentOS] fail2ban attempt, anyone want to add anything?

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Fri Apr 20 06:36:40 UTC 2012

On 4/20/2012 2:24 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> if I could add something, definitely put ports, if numbers, in
> quotes...without quotes I got some errors in the logs
> port=ftp, no quotes.....port="2222" quotes
>
> and I added one for vsftp, I use port 5000
>
> [vsftpd-iptables]
> enabled  = true
> filter   = vsftpd
> action   = iptables[name=VSFTPD, port="5000", protocol=tcp]
> logpath  = /var/log/vsftpd.log
> maxretry = 5
> bantime  = 1800

my final add on this tonight..

due to the older versions of 'whatever' centos uses, there will be
errors on startup of fail2ban regarding multiport
jails.
To avoid these errors it was suggested to add a sleep mechanism to the
start up commands in the proper file.

/etc/fail2ban/action.d/iptables-mutliport.conf

added a sleep line     sleep `perl -e 'print rand(3);'` to line 14 and
dropped everything down one line to make room for it

actionstart = sleep `perl -e 'print rand(3);'`
               iptables -N fail2ban-<name>
               iptables -A fail2ban-<name> -j RETURN
               iptables -I INPUT -p <protocol> -m multiport --dports
<port> -j fail2ban-<name>