[CentOS] Using eth0 on desktops with single network interface

Lars Hecking lhecking at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Apr 20 08:21:59 UTC 2012

> I think it is still only for certain Dell models and it probably only
> works with new 6.2 installs, but it is a badly needed capability to be
> able to predictably map the device/config names to the matching
> physical NICs.

 I was wondering about this because the T3500 I'm setting up with fresh
 6.2 installs have eth0.

 The whitepaper linked here

  http://linux.dell.com/biosdevname/

 explains it in detail, and indeed the T3500 is listed as not supporting
 under RHEL6.1 SMBIOS version is 2.5 according dmidecode and they say
 2.6 is required.