[CentOS] Centos 6.2 Nvidia drivers from elrepo - kmod-nvidia

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Mon Apr 23 22:30:30 UTC 2012

On 23/04/12 21:00, aurfalien wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM, aurfalien<aurfalien at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> So after I do yum install kmod-nvidia and rebooting, I get no screen.
>>>
>>> My errors;
>>>
>>> /var/log/messages;
>>>
>>> kernel: NVRM: The NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 GPU installed in this system is
>>> kernel: NVRM:  supported through the NVIDIA 96.43.xx Legacy drivers. Please
>>> kernel: NVRM:  visit http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html for more
>>> kernel: NVRM:  information.  The 295.40 NVIDIA driver will ignore
>>> kernel: NVRM:  this GPU.  Continuing probe...
>>   (snip)
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Yes. As the error message says ... You need to install the legacy
>> driver (96xx), not the 295.40 NVIDIA driver.
>>
>> Please see:
>>
>> http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia-96xx
>>
>> Akemi
>
> Hi Akemi,
>
> Yes i did that but a bit unstable.
>
> Hoping some one had some insight.
>
> Thanks for the reply though, I didn't expect any to be honest.
>
> - aurf

Can you be more specific? What do you mean by a bit unstable?

kmod-nvidia-96xx is still in the testing repo because no one has yet
confirmed the package works at all.

If it's a driver related issue then you should report it to NVIDIA here
attaching the appropriate nvidia-bug-report.log file:

and if it's a packaging issue you should report it here:

http://elrepo.org/bugs

Hope that helps.