[CentOS] strange partitioning problem

Bowie Bailey Bowie_Bailey at BUC.com
Tue Apr 24 20:01:17 UTC 2012

On 4/24/2012 1:32 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 04/24/12 4:46 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> I used the raid controller for this. On a regular disk you just create two
>> partitions I guess.
> which part of MBR not supporting disks over 2TB do you not understand?
> you have to use GPT to put a partition past 2^32 * 512 bytes == 2TiB

I think there's something being lost in translation here.

As I understand it, he is suggesting using the raid controller to create
multiple "slices" from the disk (or raid unit).  Each of these slices is
less than 2TB and is presented to the system as a separate drive.
Rather than a single 4TB drive, the OS now sees two 2TB drives and is
able to partition each one separately.

--
Bowie