[CentOS] Does SMTP Connection Drop When Posfix Reload is Issued ?

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Wed Apr 25 16:24:52 UTC 2012

On 4/25/2012 12:00 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> John Doe wrote:
>
>>   automatically.
>> Why not find out why you get blacklisted instead of trying to bypass it?
>> You seem to imply that it is something that will happen and often...
> It happens. It's certainly happened to me. When you're a hosting co (like
> the host I use), and have tens or hundreds of thousands of clients with
> many domains, and some are businesses or organizations that legitimately
> send out mass emailings, you're trying to catch the idiot whose machine
> got infected, it was uploaded to their hosted site, and voila, spam going
> out of your domain. *AND* the blacklisters *insist* on blocking the
> *entire* address range assigned to the hosting co, rather than the source
> IP.

I am just now getting into blacklisting by ips, but I would never do it
that way.
The only time I have added a host to the blacklist is when it is the
host's actual mail servers spamming me.
I had to to that with only  a few so far (like ovh).

For individuals like you speak of, I would only add their domain, not an
ip range.

the only ones I have added ipranges for are bulk list spammers like
constant contact and vocus and the like.

blacklisting ip blocks is fraught with danger, but in the case of an
individual mail server for a individual person, not so bad.

I think it would be impossible to police clients as a host...I cannot
see how you could do it. My main reason for never entertaining the idea
of running a host company.. Give you credit for trying though.