[CentOS] Not Quite Minimal CentOS 6.2

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Apr 26 16:36:34 UTC 2012

On Thu, April 26, 2012 08:55, Johnny Hughes wrote:

>> It has the network stack ... you must configure it during the install.
>>
>> If you do not configure and enable the ethernet card then it does not
>> turn on by default ... but it is in the installer to be able to do:
>>
>> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/CentOS6#head-b67e85d98f0e9f1b599358105c551632c6ff7c90
>>

> Don't get the wrong idea here ... I think it is a very silly way to do
> installs to not default with the network turned on.  It should be turned
> on ... but upstream decided it differently and I do not get to be the
> decider :D

I used to think the same thing.  However, on reflection I think that the decision
to keep the network down until deliberately enabled is a sensible and prudent
security choice.  This leaves up to the operator the decision as to whether or not
a given system is sufficiently hardened against Internet attacks before
connecting.

Now, consider upstream's decision to enable network-manager by default on an
enterprise distro. THAT I both understand and fundamentally disagree with.

Canada  L8E 3C3