[CentOS] Not Quite Minimal CentOS 6.2

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 17:28:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM, James B. Byrne <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> I used to think the same thing.  However, on reflection I think that the decision
> to keep the network down until deliberately enabled is a sensible and prudent
> security choice.  This leaves up to the operator the decision as to whether or not
> a given system is sufficiently hardened against Internet attacks before
> connecting.

Which way the default goes isn't a problem by itself, but having it
set by a not-very obvious checkbox hidden out of the way with not
mention of the need to check it seems like a pretty bad decision.  And
why would it ever be a good thing to not be able to do an update
immediately after your first boot anyway?

> Now, consider upstream's decision to enable network-manager by default on an
> enterprise distro. THAT I both understand and fundamentally disagree with.

Yes, that's a horrible thing for servers.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com