[CentOS] Not Quite Minimal CentOS 6.2

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Apr 26 19:09:42 UTC 2012

On 04/26/2012 01:12 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
>>> Yes, that's a horrible thing for servers.
>> I've said it before, and I'll say it again: enterprise != servers.
> How's that?  What kind of enterprise doesn't have some servers with
> nailed down NICs?

I think what Lamar is saying is that Servers are not the only use for
RHEL or CentOS in the enterprise.

There are many enterprises that use CentOS workstations as well as
servers ... or many of the people use GUI servers or VNC or NX with X
Windows on servers.  Many enterprises use CentOS on mobile (in this case
laptop or x86 tablet) devices for things like inventory control or Point
of Sale systems ... OR kiosk systems.  There are many, many uses of
CentOS (or RHEL) in the enterprise that are not a server and/or use X.
In most of those uses (other than a CLI only server), having
NetworkManager setup the network is probably a good thing ... especially
if there is a wireless device involved.

That is just where upstream is moving.

We are certainly not going to change the default installer behavior for
CentOS to be non RHEL like.