[CentOS] yum yum or not?

Shaun centos at stinkfish.org
Fri Apr 27 08:15:05 UTC 2012

On 26/04/2012 22:08, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
(snip)
> yum history list
> yum history info <number given transaction>
>
> and
> yum history undo
> yum history redo,

Well this is it. I've used both 'remove' and 'history undo' and had
better success (system not having something important removed) with the
latter.

.. and so I was wondering whether it's advised to use this form rather
than yum remove, and to find out why 'remove' is less successful (or if
it's just me!).

Another example I had recently was when I installed
Networkmanager-openswan and then after installing realised that it
didn't support L2TP/IPSec VPNs so I uninstalled it, again with 'yum
remove'. It removed the WiFi applet from the Gnome panel, which wasn't
what I was expecting. I had to reinstall networkmanager to get it back.

It just seems I should probably be more cautious of inspecting proposed
system changes when doing 'yum remove' but just wanted to make sure that
I wasn't doing something wrong.

There is a nice sheet on the differences between apt and yum on
distrowatch's website which I've RTFM'd obviously :)