[CentOS] SSD for boot drive and OS

Fri Apr 13 21:59:34 UTC 2012
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

I just ordered  a new machine that's destined to become a Centos 6 application
server for a publishing company, and decided to get one with a 40GB SSD as well
as a standard hard drive.

I'm thinking that I can put most of the operating system on that drive and have
the home directories and whatnot on the regular hard drive.  Are there any
pitfalls lying in wait for an unwary person like me when setting this thing up?

Further, I suspect that if that thing rattles along like I think it should I'll
probably want to add a SSD to my own desktop machine here.  Since this computer
is already set up with the default Centos 6 partitioning system on a single hard
drive (/boot, /home and /) is there an easy way to transfer the OS to the SSD or
would I be better off reformatting this thing and starting over from scratch if
I want to have a SSD for my boot and OS drive?