[CentOS] Centos6 iptables startup vs. restart?

Mon Apr 2 15:07:27 UTC 2012
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen at iki.fi> wrote:
> 2012/3/30 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>:
>> What is different about the initial startup of iptables than 'service
>> iptables restart'  (and different from C5)?   I want to use iptables
>> port redirection to send port 80 to 8080 so a java web service doesn't
>> have to start as root.  On C5 it worked to give the iptables
>> commmands, then 'iptables save', and from then on it would
>> automatically work when iptables started after a reboot.   With C6, I
>> have the expected entries in /etc/sysconfig/iptables and they are
>> loaded after 'service iptables restart', but the initial startup is
>> doing something else.
>
> You should use mod_proxy instead of iptables redirect? or use
> authbind? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authbind)

The iptables redirect works fine once the commands are loaded.  My
problem is just that the boot-time startup isn't loading the saved
state from /etc/sysconfig/iptables, but a subsequent 'service iptables
restart' does - and it is something new in 6.x.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com