[CentOS] centos 5 and 802.1x on wire

Tue Apr 3 08:02:47 UTC 2012
Les Bell <lesbell at lesbell.com.au>

On 3/04/2012 5:48 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 04/03/12 12:11 AM, Janez Kosmrlj wrote:
>> Has anyone managed to authenticate centos 5 on wired ethernet.
>
> ethernet has no concept of authentication inherent in it.    are you
> talking about some sort of router/gateway that requires authentication?

He's referring to 802.1x, which is a form of port-based network
access/admission control (NAC). It uses EAP (Extensible Authentication
Protocol - actually EAPOL [EAP over LAN]) to require authentication
before the supplicant is given access to the LAN.

That's the theory - but I've no idea how it works in practice with CentOS.

--
Best,

--- Les Bell
[+61 2 9451 1144]