[CentOS] Installing CentOS 6.2 *TO* a USB drive, not installing from USB.

Wed Apr 4 16:38:03 UTC 2012
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

On 4/4/12, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 04/04/2012 11:46 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>> just does not seem to be able to find the USB drives. e.g. commands
>> like root (hd0,0) just says device not found. This is despite grub
>
> hd0,0 represents the bios device id, are you sure thats what your bios
> thinks the usb disk is at ?

I can't be sure which is part of the problem. Because when I read the
grub documentation, it said that hitting tab at the prompt after
typing the command will produce a list of possible devices/drives.
However, in my case, nothing happens which seemingly implies grub
could not find any device.

I also did try manually doing (hd0,1), (hd1,0) but none of it seemed
to be a "findable" device. For what it's worth, the installer did see
them as sda and sdb. I also disabled the onboard SATA controller
during my attempts in order to eliminate it from showing up as a
possible device, since grub doc says the (hdx,x) number usually
matches the order in which the devices were discovered.