[CentOS] 3.2 kernel with C5? Or ndiswrapper?

Wed Apr 4 17:11:18 UTC 2012
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 10:07:38AM -0700, Carlos Daniel Ruvalcaba Valenzuela wrote:
> > I compile 3.2.9, install the modules and then try an boot... ?and
> > it fails to find my root disk and panics. ?I can see from the boot
> > messages that the kernel is seeing them, but it's failing to mount and
> > switchroot.
>
> Seems to me that your kernel build configuration does not include the
> FS module, for example, if your root FS is ext4 or xfs you should

Yeah, I thogught that it's ext3 and ext3.ko is in the tree
  # grep ext3 init
  echo "Loading ext3.ko module"
  insmod /lib/ext3.ko
  mkrootdev -t ext3 -o defaults,ro /dev/sda3
  # ls -l lib/ext3.ko
  -rw------- 1 root root 219560 Apr  3 16:08 lib/ext3.ko
  #

> Also the problem with compiling a new kernel is that the vanilla
> configuration may not work for you and configuring kernel options can
> be pretty daunting at first and even with each new version new stuff
> keeps piling in.

I took the existing config (from /boot/config...) and then ran
  make oldconfig < /dev/null

(which may not have been optimal, but it seemed to work :-))

--

rgds
Stephen