[CentOS] kernel LANG option

Fri Apr 6 14:59:58 UTC 2012
Woodchuck <marmot at pennswoods.net>

On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 10:31:54AM -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> One thing that irritates me is that I'll copy something from a site in ff
> and paste it into webmail (squirrel/ensign, if that matters); then, in the
> evening, when I want to forward it to one or more of my lists, using
> t-bird, I have to clean it up *all* the time: 2-3 characters replacing ",'
> and -. I can't seem to find anything in either the webmail options (which
> I have set to plain text), or kde (thinking of the buffer it's held in),
> to affect this. I'm googling, but haven't seen what the effect of changing
> the kernel line in /boot/grub/grub.conf from en_US.UTF-8 to, say, en_US,
> or maybe even, if that's an option, ASCII....
>
> Anyone know?
>
>        mark, almost ready to install and play with a friend from a techie
> mailing
>                 list's email tool, running on top of mutt....

Try export LANG=C
That cuts out a lot of the crap, and restores, among other things,
a sane collating order.  (A-Z collate before a-z, not case-blind.)
That should be in root's profile, at the very least.

Dave
--
  You can make a lovely hat out of previously-used aluminum foil.
  Recycled glass bottles can be made into roads, tiles, even surfboards.