[CentOS] vpostmaster and Centos 6

Mon Apr 9 19:15:42 UTC 2012
Nataraj <incoming-centos at rjl.com>

On 04/09/2012 11:49 AM, Tom Bishop wrote:
> Yup, I feel good about our antivirus front, that is installed and all up to
> date, what I am after now is a simple, yet effective smtp relay/gateway to
> go to exchange server 2010.
>
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>
>> Nataraj wrote:
>> <snip>
>>> 1) easiest - setup mail forwarding individually for each user account
>> <snip>
>>> 2) If exchange supports doing pickups from pop mailboxes, you can do that
>> <snip>
>> Actually, given the OP's comments - everywhere I've worked in years
>> really, *really* wants you to use IMAP, even in Windows, not POP-3 - so
>> the alternative would seem to be sendmail/dovecot.
>>
>> OP - should we assume that those running the Exchange server have all the
>> antivirus, etc, in place?
>>
>>     mark

vpostmaster includes a complete running dovecot setup supporting either
imap, pop3 or mail forwarding.  For 20 users, just using mail forwarding
(or pickup via imap or pop) with vpostmaster is probably the easiest to
setup because you don't have to mess with postfix, sendmail or
spamassassin at the configuration file level.

If you want to build your own mail configuration, you could use either
postfix or sendmail and it should be possible to install various spam
filtering packages and then configure it to forward all mail for the
domain to another server.   This would save you having to create
individual accounts on the mail relay, but is a whole lot more work to
setup than using vpostmaster, especially if you only have 20 users.  It
also requires much more understanding of the MTA (postfix or sendmail)
as well as the spam control software that you run.

vpostmaster also includes greylisting and SPF.  After installing CentOS
you could probably have it up and running in 1/2 hour or less.
Installing individual components, depending on your level of experience,
you could easily spend several days or a week or more getting all the
components running smoothly together.

I successfully used sendmail for years and at this time, I prefer
postfix and find it much easier to configure and setup securely.

nataraj