[CentOS] Need to split long lines in mail archives

Mon Apr 9 21:54:05 UTC 2012
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Woodchuck wrote:

> fmt -flagswhatever FILENAME >/tmp/mytemp
> mv /tmp/mytemp FILENAME

You might find the tidy utility (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/) handy
for this operation. It accepts the "-wrap N" option, which works great
in my toolchains, but I've never tried it on Mailman archives.

> fmt(1) is not robust, either.  It will format the whole file with
> a single-minded determination.  This includes mail headers,
> attachments, blah blah.  it might even break the html.  There
> are many unexpected consequences.

tidy won't break the HTML, at least, but there may indeed be
unintended consequences. Testing suggested. :-)

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W