[CentOS] Installing CentOS 6.2 *TO* a USB drive, not installing from USB.

Tue Apr 10 16:46:43 UTC 2012
Patrick Derwael <patrick at derwael.be>

Usuially, I simply use the default config for about everything; it worked
well every time...

I don't remember every detail... sorry for that

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of Emmanuel Noobadmin
Sent: mardi 10 avril 2012 17:32
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Installing CentOS 6.2 *TO* a USB drive, not installing
from USB.

On 4/10/12, Patrick DERWAEL <patrick at derwael.be> wrote:
> Emmanuel,
> I used a totally different approach by using VMware: the trick is to
> install on a physical device which is the USB drive.
> When the installation requests a reboot, simply boot on your USB and
> off you go!

That is pretty much what I did. Boot DVD 1 with a USB DVD drive, install to
/dev/sda which is the USB flash drive. When the installation requests a
reboot, shutdown, remove as well as leave the DVD drive around and reboot...
and only grub prompt or Error 21.

Maybe there's a minor but critical step I'm missing so I'll appreciate it if
you could outline in greater details how you did it.

I've tried installing grub to both MBR i.e. /dev/sda as well as first
partition /dev/sda1 but neither works.