[CentOS] Hyper Threading Feature

Thu Apr 12 20:06:37 UTC 2012
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 4/12/2012 5:57 AM Kaushal Shriyan spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> Any performance bottleneck if HT (Hyper Threading) is enabled in quad core
> processors on CentOS 5.8 running MySQL DB Server ? Please help me
> understand about pros and cons of this feature.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaushal
As far as I know, hyper-threading is sort of like processor emulation... As
long as the extra threads are hitting different registers, it can help. But if
it needs any floating point, the thread will wait until it has full access...
It seems to be hit or miss on how much it will hurt/help a load...