[CentOS] compiling openssh5.8src.rpm looking for Xlib.h

Fri Apr 13 09:53:34 UTC 2012
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Thursday 12 April 2012 15.02.31 m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Vinay Nagrik wrote:
> > Hello Group,
> >
> > I created a VM with 5.7 Centos DVD-1.  My task is to compile openssh5.8p2
> > (src.rpm downloaded from openssh site.) on the system.  It gave some
> > errors about some buildrequires rpm not found.  I took care of them.  Now
> > it is complaining about
> >
> >> [root at akjain-centos5 SPECS]# rpmbuild -bb openssh.spec
> >>
> >> error: Failed build dependencies:
> >>         /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h is needed by openssh-5.8p2-1.x86_64
> >
> > I have copied Xlib.h from another machine (running el5) into
> > /usr/include/X11 directory.   But it still does not recognize this
> > particular file "Xlib.h" and continues to give same error.

It requires the file to be provided by an installed package, that is, it has
to exist in the rpm database.

> > Do I need a particulare Xlib.h for this machine, 'if yes', then can
> > someone tell me where from to get this file.

You need the .h file that matches the library (on your machine). The library
comes from libX11 provided by CentOS-base and as such you want libX11-devel
(provided by CentOS-base).

> rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h will tell you.

Actually no, "rpm -q --whatprovides ..." ask which of my installed package(s)
provide ... and will not work in this case.

If you want to find out which (uninstalled) package provides a certain file
you'll have to use "yum provides ...".

If you want to just install the file the following short-cut works:
 "yum install /usr/include/X11/Xlib.h"

/Peter