[CentOS] FOUND_THE_ISSUE -- URGENT -- pseudo network interface creating problem with dhcp-- centos 5.5

Fri Apr 13 12:30:19 UTC 2012
Alain Péan <alain.pean at lpp.polytechnique.fr>

Le 13/04/2012 10:29, John R Pierce a écrit :
> The BMC ("Baseboard Management Controller" or something like that) is
> another name for a management processor, similar to the IPMI I
> mentioned.   This can be used for monitoring the system status, lights
> out management like remote power off and on (BMC is powered even when
> the server is shut down), etc.     I would recommend you learn how to
> use it and not disable it.   The BMC can also be used for remote system
> installation and such.

Yes, it is a very useful device. It should be what is called by Dell
'iDRAC Express', because in such case, the BMC port is shared with the
LAN port. If you have the 'Enterprise' version, there is a dedicated
port. Certainly someone changed the default behaviour, because by
default, iDRAC Express has a fixed IP, something like 192.168.1.120.

As you can remote power off the server, it seems it can be used also as
fencing device, in a virtualisation cluster with HA, even if I did not
try myself.

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Attention !! :  Nouveau numéro de Telephone : 01-44-27-92-39
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés