[CentOS] SSD for boot drive and OS

Fri Apr 13 22:50:19 UTC 2012
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 04/13/12 3:42 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
> This is an application server with a bunch of terminals that hang off of it.
> The idea is to have "instant on" for stuff like Gimp, Scribus, Inkscape,
> LibreOffice, and whatnot which I'm thinking would live on the SSD.  The
> data files, caches and so on would be in the user's home directories and a big
> shared directory, all on the standard hd as usual.

ah, i would call that a 'terminal server', thats quite a different
workload then.   I was thinking of 'application server' as something
like Tomcat, providing webservices.

even so, I'd expect all those applications to be cached in main memory
once they are loaded the first time, unless this server is also memory
constrained.