[CentOS] Virtualization in CentOS 6

Sun Apr 15 04:28:19 UTC 2012
Charlie Brune <centos at bruneworld.com>

On 04/14/2012 05:04 AM, nux at li.nux.ro wrote:
> Joseph L. Casale writes:
>
>> I might be needing to utilize one of the provided virtualization packages either in a headless
>> console only setup of CentOS or on my desktop. I havent used anything but ESXi in ages
>> except virtualbox which I did not like at all. Most of the guests which I will need to run will be
>> wnidows based and last I looked at this a few years ago, windows guests ran pathetic. What
>> are some more current opinions on how windows guests run on the available packages compared
>> to ESXi?
>>
>> The version numbers between the rhel virtio-win drivers and the publicly available ones are
>> significantly different, and it looks like you need a rhel sub for theirs. Anyone know the state
>> of the ones on the fedora repo?
>
> I've been using those drivers from Fedora for quite a while now for M$
> guests, they work fine for what I need.
>

>> Has kvm made snapshots (without lvm) as slick as vmware yet?
>
> Nope, you will have to use lvm; a small price to pay to be "free" ;-)
>
> --
>
> Nux!
> www.nux.ro

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but ...

I create my images to be used for virtual machines like this (here's one
for a virtual server called "fred"):

	qemu-img -f qcow2 fred.img 10G

When I want a snapshot, I power off the server (not sure if I really
need to do that first) and create a snapshot called "joe" like this:

	qemu-img snapshot -c joe fred.img

To revert back to it:

	qemu-img snapshot -a joe fred.img

And to list all the snapshots for my image:

	qemu-img snapshot -l fred.img

I hope this helps,
Charlie