[CentOS] Upgrading to Verizon FIOS from Verizon DSL - Linux machine as router/Gateway/LAN server]

Mon Apr 16 20:45:07 UTC 2012
Tim Evans <tkevans at tkevans.com>

On 04/16/2012 04:17 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Max Pyziur wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> A long time ago I setup a Linux machine as a Gateway/LAN Server using
>> Verizon DSL as the ISP.
>>
>> I used the following HOWTO as the guide - DSL HOWTO For Linux:
>> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DSL-HOWTO/index.html
>>
>> Is there something comprable for Verizon FIOS?
>>
>> My Gateway machine runs Fedora.
>>
>> For a new server, I'm considering setting up a CentOS machine, while still
>> using Fedora on my desktop and laptop.
>
> FIOS comes with a FIOS router. You have straight ethernet to it.

And it you wire it right, you can set up an internal/external network
config with your own firewall.  (The FIOS router also acts as a
firewall, but you might trust an iptables firewall more as a second line
of defense.