[CentOS] SSD as system drive - partitioning question

Wed Apr 18 07:05:42 UTC 2012
Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:56:03 +0200
Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> You want to create two partitions on the SSD and three on the HD. The SSD
> partitions should have the mount points /boot and /, while the HD partitions
> should have mount points /tmp, /var and /home. That's all there is to it,
> really.
>
> It seems that you are just missing the observation that (by default)
> everything that does not have its own mount point will be put as a directory
> into / during the installation. However, directories that *do* have their own
> mount points will be put on their respective drives, and just logically
> "mounted" into the / tree. So you just create separate partitions for stuff
> you want to go to the HD, and everything else will go inside the / partition,
> which should be on the SSD.

Aha!  The light just came on for me here.  Thanks to everyone for your
observations and insight on this; I now have a better understanding of drive
partitioning than I did before.

I just now started  formatting this new machine.

> Btw, I stopped bothering to create a separate /boot partition some time ago,
> and never looked back... What is your usecase for having it separated from / ?

Nothing, other than that's how the default partition scheme seems to work on my
other Centos installations so I figured if that's the default there must be a
good reason for it.