[CentOS] A request from the CentOS Project

Wed Apr 18 22:38:33 UTC 2012
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 04/18/2012 02:25 PM, Antaryami Khuda wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> The CentOS Project seems to be having a problem within some of our
>> community interactive areas that we need to address.
>>
>> Dear Johnny,
> Your past history clearly shows this is a case of the pot calling the
> kettle black.
>
> You have unceremoniously told numerous users to take a flying leap if they
> didn't like it your way.

Well, all I can say is that I don't feel that this is the case.  If you
look at my discussions that I think you are talking about, they are not
about users getting help with CentOS .. which is the purpose of the
e-mail you quoted and the interactive media areas we provide.

All my "heated" discussions (at least the ones I remember) are about
when people want to tell me how they think I should produce CentOS or
they want me to tell them exactly how they can reproduce CentOS.  Or
they want me to let them build CentOS packages for the project, etc.

CentOS is open source and as such we are required to provide the source
code (SRPMS) ... we do that.

The e-mail you quoted is concerned not with providing people with the
knowledge of how to reproduce CentOS, but how we help people who want to
use CentOS.  So, this is a different subject entirely.

We produce a free product that people can choose to use or not to use
... that is up to them.  All the interactive areas we provide are for
discussing how to use CentOS.  We do not have any interactive areas that
are provided to discuss how one can build a competitor OS to CentOS.
Someone else may have an area to discuss that.

> Please reveal to the "Centos Community" who penned this piece for you to
> post.

I wrote it myself and I mean it.  We should be nice to users who are
trying to learn how to use CentOS.  I know I am always nice to people
who want to learn how to use CentOS.  I am not necessarily nice to
people who want to get me to tell them how to create a competitor to
CentOS ... but I digress.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes