[CentOS] boot-time NFS mount failures

Thu Apr 19 17:30:18 UTC 2012
Veli-Pekka Kestilä <centos at vpk.nu>

On 19.4.2012 20:12, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> Hello List,
>

> backup:/home/backup/Oracle      /backup_nfs     nfs
>
> The last time this happened, I found a message on the console:
>
> mount: can't get address for backup
>
> So it seems that the failure was caused by the nameserver not being
> available yet. Unfortunately that message isn't saved to any logfile,
> so I cannot say if it was the same the previous times.
You could set in fstab ipaddress instead of the server name, so there is
no need for name lookup or you can put the ip and name in /etc/hosts
> How can I make sure that the system startup does not proceed until
> the NFS share is available and mounted successfully? From R'ingTFM
> I got the impression that this should be the default behaviour, but
> apparently it isn't. I don't know if hardcoding the backup server's
> IP address into the Oracle server's /etc/hosts file would help, but
> I would really like to avoid that, anyway.
Where the nameserver is? On the backup server or on the oracle (or on
completely separate machine?)
- If on oracle server, you could make that one to start before oracle in
init.
- If on separate machine you could write your own init script which
tests that the name resolution works and runs the oracle startup after that.

I would put the ip in hosts if the backup server has fixed ip-address.
If not then making special init-script could be the trick.

-vpk