[CentOS] defer (not skip) boot fsck?

Fri Apr 20 18:26:21 UTC 2012
Michael Coffman <michael.coffman at avagotech.com>

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>wrote:

> On 04/20/2012 05:03 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> > I have some large filesystems that are only used for rarely used
> > archived data.  Is there any way to specify in fstab or elsewhere that
> > if these have passed their 'time to run fsck' that it could be put in
> > the background and the system could go ahead and boot, mounting them
> > whenever the operation finishes?
> >

> Maybe just set cron job to scan every X days so scanning on boot is
> avoided?

 I set the last field to zero on file systems I don't want to fsck on boot
at an in-opportune time.

     The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to deter-
       mine the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot time.
The
       root  filesystem  should  be specified with a fs_passno of 1, and
other
       filesystems should have a fs_passno of 2.  Filesystems within  a
drive
       will  be checked sequentially, but filesystems on different drives
will
       be checked at the same time to utilize  parallelism  available  in
the
       hardware.   If  the sixth field is not present or zero, a value of
zero
       is returned and fsck will assume that the filesystem does not  need
       be checked.

I then run fsck with -N periodically to look for problems.   I actually
created a script that would
run fsck, then log the errors to /var/log/messages.  Then modded logwatch
to catch the
errors.