[CentOS] yum yum or not?

Fri Apr 27 14:49:33 UTC 2012
Shaun <centos at stinkfish.org>

On 27/04/2012 14:56, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> So the real problem is that you don't understand the directionality of
> dependencies.

Almost certainly :)

> "yum install packagename" installs packagename + anything
> that packagename requires. "yum remove packagename" removes packagename
> + anything that requires packagename. The set of packages required by
> packagename and the set of packages that require packagename are two
> entirely different things.

Yes, I thought "yum remove packagename" would remove the packagename
plus any dependencies that were INSTALLED by the "yum install
packagename" action. That is, I expected it to NOT remove dependency
packages that were already present when "yum install packagename" was
performed.

So a misunderstanding on my part.

I just need to be really careful about the remove command in future.