[CentOS] Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill Init!

Mon Aug 20 16:51:33 UTC 2012

Joseph Koenig wrote:
> Just installed CentOS 6.3 from a minimal install disc. All was well, so
> I ran a yum update, as well as installed some additional packages
> (mysql, httpd, libjpeg, libpng, and more that I don't remember off the
> top of my head). Went to reboot the machine and now it won't book up. As
> it starts to boot, says:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> Pid: 1, comm: init Not tainted 2.6.32-279.5.1.el6.x86_64 #1
> Call Trace:
> [<ffffffff814fd24a>] ? panic+0xa0/0x168
<snip>
My first reaction is when the menu, or the "about to boot kernel..." line
comes up, edit that, then add rdshell to the end of your kernel line, and
let it boot. If it gets to the rdshell, you might check to see if there's
an agreement between the root (hdx,x) line in grub.conf and what the
system leads grub to think is the first h/d.

Also, here's what I'm assuming: a) the PERC controller is actually
presenting the drives to the system, and b) that grub was in fact
installed.

       mark