[CentOS] Urgent help on replacing /var

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Aug 4 16:58:31 UTC 2012

On Friday, August 03, 2012 12:03:01 PM Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/03/2012 04:25 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > rpm -qa | while read line; do echo $line && rpm --setugids $line; done
> > should handle ownerships.  Then, reenable selinux in permissive mode, and set it to relabel on the next boot.
>
> maybe add --setperms as well

Hmm, I thought by including that in my quoted text that it was implied that one should do both.... My bad.  It was a long day....

I'm not sure if both can be used on a single command line, since both --setperms and --setugids are implemented via popt aliases; I reserve the right to be wrong, of course.

I also forgot to specify in my reply that these commands would only repair files owned by packages; any non-package-owned files in /var won't be helped by either --setperms or --setugids; but it will give the OP a good start.